Friday, June 1, 2007

Friday Ocean Swims


Last year I didn't enjoy ocean swim practices. Out in the deep blue I became oh so aware of how small I really am and concluded that a mile swimming is way longer than a mile running. It sure didn't help to learn that La Jolla Shores (our team's primary ocean swim venue) is the only place off the coast of San Diego where significant marine predators have been captured (this info was provided by my brother, Levi, the biologist/ecologist...thanks). So, as I bobbed along swallowing saltwater, I was on the constant lookout for man-eating sharks...I really wasn't concerned about my swim form.

Well, it was a year to overcome personal limits, so I forced myself to participate in those practices although outside my comfort zone. Soon enough, I learned to enjoy the quietness and openess that one finds out beyond the wave break. I also liked the peaceful and rhythmic commaraderie of swimming along with my teammates. Once I learned to relax in the deep water, I even discovered a great appreciation for being amongst oceanic nature...yet even cute lovable Flipper needs to keep some distance.

This year I've totally embraced the ocean swims, and in preparing for Vineman, I'm swimming at the Shores twice a week in addition to my pool workouts. One of my favorite weekly workouts is the Friday night swim from the Cove to the Shores. Its about a 2-mile RT swim, yet it isn't just about the physcial workout. Its a great way to transition from the work-week to the weekend. There's a whole swimming community that meets at the Cove for this weekly ritual. I counted 72 people donning wetsuits at the Cove last week. Multiple teams and groups gather, including TNT alumni, SD Tri Club, Breakaway Training, and several swim clubs. You also have tons of individuals representing a large spectrum of ages and walks of life.

I love to people watch, so this is an interesting sphere. So far, my favorite Friday night swimmer is a woman who looks to be about 70. I met her in the water while stopped at a buoy a couple weeks ago. She stands out because she wears bright red lipstick and round pearl earings while swimming...she's definitely got me beat on style out there. Also, she can keep a monster pace, and it eased my ego that she turned around while I continued further out with my group. Anyhow, its a fun mix, and after the swim, several of us have made it a habit of grabbing a bite to eat before continuing on with our Friday night. So, if anyone is looking for an ocean swim with lots of company, you should join us at the Cove on Fridays at 5:45pm. Hey, its Friday and almost time...I better go.

No comments: