I knew that I would miss Saturday's team workout due to a fun commitment at Disneyland (Happy B-day, Lily!), so early last week I sent out an invite for people to join me Sunday for an out-and-back 60-mile ride from LJ Shores to Iron Mtn followed by a swim. I cycled most of the bike route with the half-team about 3 or 4 weeks ago. What I liked most about this route is that it tied together several of the shorter routes I biked while training for Olympic distance races (Torrey Pines, Scripps Poway Parkway and Iron Mountain)...a rite of passage. I also liked the fact that it starts from the coast and travels all the way inland to the foothills of the San Diego mountains..."coast to the mountains" has an epic feel. Plus, with the weather staying so cool this Spring in SD, I need to take advantage of the East county sun to condition myself for the Napa Valley heat. This is also a route with lots of hills and only a few flat stretches, so its a ride that challenges your strength, speed and endurance.
Ryan, Damian, Nuno, Elisa and Kim met me in the LJ Shores parking lot, and we peddled our bikes about 10 miles to meet up with Greg, Pat and Emily at Rancho Penasquitos Park West (These kids were just finishing a Tour de Trail run with the Pacific Grove Team). About 8 miles further along the route, Pat's bike had mechanical problems with the cables (a real bummer too since the bike was new), so he had to turn around and head back to a bike shop with the goal of meeting for the swim. The rest of us continued, and somewhere along Scripps Poway Parkway, Damian, Greg and Ryan shot far ahead. When we reached the turnaround point at the intersection of Hwy 67 and Poway Road, there was no sign of the 3-lead-team, so in Mom fashion, I left a voicemail to check on the boys. The rest of us started on our way back. Nuno, Kim and I arrived at Rancho Penasquitos Park and decided to wait for Elisa and Emily. In the meantime, I checked my messages and learned that the lead team decided to make a side trip to the Circle K store on the 67 Hwy to refill on liquids...that's an additional 8 miles one-way with a major hill on the way back!
Once Elisa joined us, we said our goodbyes to Emily and continued on to LJ Shores. At Torrey Pines, I received a call from Greg reporting that Damian and Ryan were just leaving Rancho Penasquitos. Greg arrived at LJ Shores in his car just ahead of Kim and I on the bikes. We were shortly followed by Nuno and Elisa. It felt really good to climb off the bike and just sit still in a stupor for a bit. As we loaded our bikes and gathered our swim gear, Ryan and Damian pulled in. Ryan was animated and sputtering about the headwind on the return ride. Damian was salt-covered, also complaining about the difficulty of their extended route. HOWEVER, both of them would break into the largest grins across their faces whenever they paused with the whining and considered their accomplishment. That Circle K trip added almost 20 miles to an already challenging ride, so they ended up covering 70 - 80 miles.
I decided to use this workout to test out my "new" nutrition plan for the bike. Training for the Olympic distance races, I would take in 2 gels or gu's during the bike portion of the race, yet on these longer rides, I need to take in 4 to 6 gels. After consuming hydration and gels on these long rides, I feel like I've been drinking syrup all day...not really satisfied and way more thirsty. Therefore, I brought other forms of sustenance for the day's ride...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, corn chips, salt tabs and a balance bar...yum! Okay, I got a lot of ribbing from my workout crew about the PBJ sandwich, but hey, you gotta do what works for you...besides, I think they were just a bit envious as they sucked down another gu. I didn't consume everything I brought with me, and I was glad to share with others. This worked for me. I felt great the entire time on the road, and when we finished, I was hungry, yet I still felt strong and energetic. If the Cheese Shop wasn't so close, I'm certain that I could have continued on to the swim without stopping for a meal...just can't say no to a good sandwich :)
Greg and Pat opted to swim immediately, and Elisa decided to do a quick transition run. Brian joined our group at the Shores, and after eating and reliving in conversation the day's bike adventures, Damian, Ryan, Nuno, Kim, Brian and I headed back to the Shores for the swim. Marty and Mike, who both ran the Rock-in-Roll Marathon that morning, visited with us a bit on the beach, reporting on the marathon experience. Marty met his goal of a sub 3-hour marathon! Woohoo! Greg and Pat were just finishing their swim while the rest of us rallied to enter the water. I don't think I ever appreciated the cool water more. My tired muscles felt so good stretching out during the swim. We didn't cover any great distance, yet it was just long enough to reduce the lactic acid in my legs, and afterward, I felt refreshed. It was a great workout day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"animated and sputtering about the headwind on the return ride"
those are some very kind words compared to the trash that was coming out of my mouth :)
Great work.
Post a Comment