This was my weekend off from training, so on Saturday morning I headed up north to attend my niece's high school graduation near Sacramento (Way to go, Jacki!). That afternoon, Marty and Jay met me in Sacramento, and we drove to Lakeport, CA. Marty was competing on Sunday in a 3/4 Ironman, the second race in the new Tri 101 series. It would take place along the shores of Clear Lake and along the highways and residential areas of Lakeport. Jay and I were the designated support crew and cheering squad. Marty and Jay arrived on Thursday and previewed the course on Friday. During the ride from Sac to Lakeport, I received a full brief on the race course. They described the run as the main challenge...1,350 ft of climbing in two 9.5-mile laps. Marty even drove the run course so I could have a firsthand look...lots of hills, ewwww. I think Wildflower's run course is tough with the 1.5 miles of consistent steady climbing...I can only imagine how tough this run would be...a brutal 19 miles with continual hills and valleys on foot after swiming 1.9 miles and biking 80 miles.
The night before the race, Jay, Marty and I walked through the transition and expo areas. All of the competitors' bikes were left in the transition area over night. Man, there was impressive high-end equipment in the transition area! In typical tri geek fashion, we hung out along the fence of the transition area just admiring and drooling over the bike set ups belonging to both pros and amateurs. The race ambassadors were kind enough to let us all eat at the pre-race dinner for free. After our meal, we headed to our hotel room at the Anchorage Inn, conveniently located close to the race start. We spent time in the hot tub, did some yoga, and then Marty finished perfecting his race preparations.
Race morning, Marty was already in full motion getting ready and eating when I woke up around 4:30am. We headed down to the race start and transition area around 5:30am. The transition area was organized similar to Ironman races, with changing tents, special needs bags designated for each transition, and a team of volunteers who were at the participant's beckon call. Marty warmed up with a short swim. He reported that the water felt good and that he was feeling great and ready to race. When the gun went off for the age group wave at 7:05am, Marty secured a swim position towards the front of the pack. Jay and I made a point of meeting Marty at each transition and on the course during each leg of the race.
It was pretty cool to have the chance to observe the techniques of the pros with Jay's expert commentary. Everyone has a unique stroke, stride, gait...I couldn't really make out defining postures or body mechanics on the bikes since they passed by in a blur. This was a competitive race with high level pro and amateur athletes. It was the longest tri distance Marty had competed to date, and throughout the course, Marty appeared to be strong and in good spirits. He finished the race at 7:26:09, a great finishing time...fast enough to place 23rd overall, 5th amateur and 3rd in his age group...oh, and he bragged that he beat one pro...female, yet still a pro ;) Congrats, Marty!
It was really hard to watch this event and not feel the draw to try it next year. The location was at a scenic lake surrounded by rolling hills in small-town USA. It was a well planned and organized event. The course was well marked...definitely challenging by all accounts. The volunteers were so helpful to spectators and competitors. Even the race director and course director took time to speak with us. The town seemed to welcome the extravaganza and tri crowd. This weekend's race was small with only 160 or so athletes, yet I expect this series will grow tremendously with more participants over the next couple years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This trip was a blast!!! Im glad you came Ginger.
Jay
Post a Comment