Thursday, June 14, 2007

Training Check

This week I realized that its only five weeks till Vineman, and I'm questioning whether I'm going to be ready. I know that I can go the distance in each part of the race, yet I'm not sure about putting the swim-bike-run together...and in the heat. Just to add to the concern, Ryan circulated an email from the race coordinator stating that water temp could be in the 80s. I'm already expecting air temp around the 100s. These are not the conditions in which I've been training. I really only have 3 weeks left of intensive workouts, so I plan to make these weeks race specific...kicking up the intensity, reducing recovery time, conditioning for warm weather, keeping up on nutrition and hydration and getting adequate rest...while staying healthy and injury free.
Several folks asked about my training schedule these upcoming weeks, and here's the general plan:
Mon PM: Rest/Yoga
Tues AM: Pool drills (2500 - 3500 yrds)
Tues PM: Bike drills / hill repeats (2 hours)
Weds PM: Spin 1 hour, followed by pool workout (3000 - 3500 yrds)
Thurs AM: Run 1 hour
Thurs PM: Rest/Yoga
Fri PM: Ocean swim (2 miles)
Sat AM: Bike (70 - 85 miles) or Brick workout (Bike 60/Run 10)
Sun AM: Base run (2 hours)
Sun PM: Ocean swim (2 miles)

I start pulling back the intensity in July...
...with miles to go before I rest, with miles to go before I rest!
G

No comments: