Thursday, May 31, 2007

Rest and Training



"Think about it – if you’re tired from lack of sleep, are you really getting the benefit of the workout?"
-Sleep more, train better, race faster, by Charlene Waldner (Triathlete Magazine, May 23, 2007)

This season the seemingly harmless habit of sleep deprivation has taken a toll on my well being and interfered with my triathlon training. My body hurts; I have limited endurance and focus during workouts; I caught just about everyone's cold; and its really bugging me that I continually yawn. The irony? This is “rest week” according to the team schedule, and I am experiencing complete physical and mental exhaustion. I know that I have a problem, because I’m seriously considering taking my personal coffeemaker into the office, so I can have continual access to caffeine and not have to share with my co-workers. As I transformed into a triathlete, I addressed my conditioning and diet, yet I neglected to research or make changes in the areas of rest and sleep. I’m certain that I’m not getting enough rest, and its high time that I do something about it. Here is what I learned about how sleep critically impacts the triathlete:

*Sleep quality is just as important as sleep time;
*Sleep increases the growth hormone production for muscle tissue repair;
*Sleep aids in recovery between workouts;
*Lack of sleep will weaken the immune system;
*Lack of sleep increases the appetite and may lead to weight gain; and
*Lack of sleep will decline physical and mental performance.

I also looked at suggestions for improving sleep and getting more rest. I can already hear my wise-acre friends doling out the simplistic advice along the lines of “first, you need to go to bed.” Some of the less obvious suggestions include avoiding intense exercise 3-4 hours before going to sleep; increasing carb intake (without overeating) at night to induce sleep; replacing mattress and pillows for better support; keeping a regular sleep schedule; and taking afternoon naps (30-40 minutes). Over the next week or so, I will experiment with these ideas and see if they work to improve my sleep time and quality.

No comments: