Monday, July 16, 2007

So How's That Taper Going?

Coach Trent asked this question with doubting arched eyebrows after yesterday's practice tri. Fact is, the taper is going great. I have way more energy and extra time this week than I've had in months! All of my laundry is finally caught up. I've been at home to cook dinner almost every night, so I'm eating well. I actually chatted with my parents over coffee this weekend, and I've touched base either by phone or in person with just about every friend that has accused me of being MIA these past couple months.

Also, I'm really excited about my conditioning, almost to the point of doing something crazy like signing up for...dare I say it?...an ironman. I ran approximately 10 miles one evening last week on the trails behind my home, a slow paced run, and about halfway into the workout it struck me that I wasn't tired, winded or hurting. This same run was such a challenge last summer, so its pretty darn satisfying to realize the improvement in my fitness...but I'm holding off on making the ironman commitment till after I finish Vineman and pending the level of post-race pain.

Yesterday's practice tri took place at Glorietta Bay in Coronado, CA. The swim was close to 300m in Navy Seal territory, followed by a 15-mile bike along the flat and windy strand (headwinds both directions...for real), and wrapping up with a-supposed-to-be 3-mile run (well, I ran passed the turn-around...I didn't know...so I was alone, lost on the island and wandering along the golf course for an extra mile or two). Still it felt good to push and get in a little transition practice.

I also attended Coach Gurujan's talk about the Vineman course yesterday. The key information that I walked away with was ice is your friend and the bike course roads are in bad condition...lots of flats. I'm so tempted to go purchase Kevlar tires this week before we make the trip up north, yet I keep hearing a whispering voice of caution, "Nothing new on race day." If I buy them tonight, and ride them tomorrow that means they wouldn't be new, right? Hmmm....still need to resolve this issue.

Well, the team's final prep meeting took place yesterday afternoon. I think we're all eager for the trip up to Guerneville and Santa Rosa. There was little talk of our race preparations, and quite a bit of convesation on social activities. We're pretty set on having fun regardless of the race, and that's a great place to be today...not sure if I can hold onto that frame of mind come race day :)

G

No comments: