Sunday, July 8, 2007

Cramming

Vineman is two weeks from today! I'm a mix of nerves and excitement when I think about this. The fast approaching event kind of stirs me up to an old habit...cramming. This study technique was key to my passing several college exams, yet its probably one of the worst things I can do for my body now that we're so close to race day. My rational side is counselling that I'm conditioned to go the distances in all of the events...I've been training hard, long hours, and now its time to taper. I can't build or improve at this point, and any extreme exertion will only risk injury. However, my not so rational side is thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder how fast you're going to run 13 miles after the bike...maybe you ought to do a final full-distance brick." Truth is that I haven't gone the full distance in all three events in one day, so there's a question of how its all going to come together on July 22nd.

I counted this past week as my last full workout week. I ran 13 miles on Monday and Friday. I ran 5 miles and swam drills at the pool on Tuesday and Thursday. I lifted weights and did yoga once this week. I biked 72 miles on Wednesday, and then I did the Del Dios Brick workout on Saturday (30-mile bike and 4-mile run). I also met a teammate for an easy-paced 6-mile run this morning...my legs were pretty tired.

Today marks the beginning of my workout taper. The team has one workout scheduled for 5 days this week, shorter distances and times. Then, next Saturday is our full-transition practice...a taste of event day. I don't like to taper...sort of feels like I'm losing ground. Also, there's a growing level of anxiety...not necessarily the bad kind, but that building anticipation. Then too, I'm suddenly faced with lots of extra time on my hands...again, not such a bad thing because I have several projects that I'd like to finish at home while I also can use the time to get ready for my trip up north. I also have several friends that I've neglected during these past few weeks of intense training, so it might be a good opportunity to catch up with them. Then, there's work, and I'm going to try to get a bit ahead of schedule so there's no problem when I take a few days off for the triathlon week. You know, I'm now thinking these next couple weeks would be a lot simpler and easier if I could just ignore the rest of my life and cram several more workouts in before race day :)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Silly Girl... Then we will feel guilty about not biking, swimming or running! However, the family friends do need attention. You have done great this season and will charge the race on race day!