Saturday, July 21, 2007

MoMo's B-Day - 2 Days before Vineman

Friday was my rest day...sort of. My cabin roommates and I had invited the TNT half-team over to the cabin for a bbq in the evening, so a good part of the day was spent preparing for the festivities. Also, Friday was MoMo's birthday, and several of us made plans to surprise her with cake, ice cream, flowers and make much fuss over her special day.

MoMo was flying into Oakland Friday morning and then driving to Guerneville in a rental car. I was expecting her to arrive at the cabin around 1pm. My cell phone doesn't have reliable reception in Guerneville, so I've been a bit out of touch with my family, friends and team since I've been up here. About 1:30pm, Paul received a call on his cell...he seems to be the only one with good reception up here. I was in the kitchen while Paul answered the call on the patio, yet I could still hear excited MoMo's voice.

Evidently, MoMo arrived at the Oakland airport and went to the car rental place and was informed that they couldn't rent her a car because her driver's license expired yesterday...happy birthday, MoMo! The woman at the rental counter advised that MoMo could go to DMV to get a license renewal and then return for the car. It was MoMo's good fortune that Coach Trent happened to be at the car rental office at the same time, and recognizing MoMo, he stepped in to offer to give her a ride to the DMV. Now, my experience at the DMV over the years has taught me to avoid going to the DMV unless you have an appointment or don't mind wasting the better part of your day waiting for your number to be called. MoMo was able to get a ride to the DMV office in Oakland, apply for her license renewal, wait in line, obtain her renewal, and return to the car rental office in 2 hours. I'm amazed! When MoMo arrived at the cabin around 3pm, she was excited to share her story while we ate a late lunch. With her story told, she seemed to relax and then announced that she needed a nap. MoMo went to the back bedroom, and we didn't see her again until bbq time :)

While MoMo napped, we had two other groups of visitors arrive. Paul's mom and niece came over for the afternoon and evening, and Ryan D, Alana, and Nelson came over to drop Greg off at the cabin. Everyone was pretty impressed with the cabin and took unguided tours...I was busy in the kitchen still. At some point, Ryan D came out and announced that MoMo is solidly out :)

Well, the bbq went totally smooth. Greg was on the grill, Paul had drinks covered, and I kept the sides filled. It was so much fun to see my teammates relax and enjoy the time, the company, the food and the cabin's amenities. We had people in the kayaks, in the hot tub and resting on the patio. It was a well behaved fun group who cleaned up and left at an early hour, so I don't think we alarmed the neighbors...too much. I counted 22 people in attendance, and my mentor, Derrick, with his accomplice, Rob decided to go get a couple cases of beer...so glad the property management didn't decide to drop in on us!

After our dinner guests left, Paul, Greg, MoMo and I finished clearing up the kitchen and rearranging the cabin furniture, My roommates and I relaxed for a time on the patio, in the quiet, with candles glowing, and birthday cake remnants to finish. We decided to spend a little time doing yoga stretches, and then we turned in for the night. These are sweet times.

This morning I'm heading out for a short run, and then Paul, Greg and I will drive the entire bike course on our way to meet the team at the Expo. We plan to pick up race packets and set up our T2 areas this afternoon. Wow, we're really going to do this :)

G

No comments: