Monday, April 9, 2007

Post-Lavaman/New Goals


Its been exactly one week since I participated in the Lavaman Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii. I'm not feeling the post-race blues or withdrawls...just reflective...thinking a lot about the training season...new and old friendships...the travel adventures...the race. It was a wonderful trip, yet not exactly the race experience for which I hoped. During the weeks leading up to the Lavaman event, I battled general fatigue and achiness which I attribute to overtraining and a lack of adequate sleep. My run speed decreased during the season. I worked out a lot this past season...coached practices, base building, master swim, weight training, pilates, yoga, and soccer. It was too much. Even after tapering for two weeks, the muscle soreness returned upon any hard exertion. The aches were located in the quads, glutes, low back and shoulders. I could feel my problem muscles tightening during the bike portion of the Lavaman race, and that tightness evolved to low level pain as I started the run. However, seeing my teammates and appreciating the coastal scenery increased my enthusiasm and joy so that the the pain no longer mattered. Even with a hurting body, my time improved by a few minutes over the prior olympic distance event.

I've now taken a full week off from all training, and my body is still pretty tight through the hips and low back. This upcoming week I plan to join Team in Training's half-team to start preparing for Vineman, my first half-ironman race, which takes place July 22nd. I'm also registered for the Wildflower Olympic the first weekend in May. It was my first triathlon event last year and will be a good benchmark for where I am today. I'm a little hesitant about jumping back into a regular training schedule...my body feels a bit battered...not feeling the eagerness to train for a longer distance race tonight. I'm thinking that this season I'll focus only on going the distance and not get caught up in strength or speed training.

Here's to hoping it all will work out!

Ginger

No comments: